22 THINGS TO DO IN SOUTHERN
CALIFORNIA FOR FATHER’S DAY
Written By Barbara Cast
Photography By Barbara Veronika Photography
1. Archery – Has Dad scored a bull’s eye yet? If no, then head on over to Robertson Archery to learn how to use a bow and arrow and aim for the bull’s eye! They also teach knife and axe throwing skills! Lessons are for one hour and can accommodate up to four students. Students aged 4 to 6 years or children with low attention span will have a shortened 30-minute lesson. See website for details and to complete a reservation.
Address: Address will be given, when reservation is made. (818) 457-6463.
2. Family Fun Entertainment – Does your Dad enjoy doing ALL THE THINGS? Then, let him go wild at MB2 Entertainment in the Santa Clarita Valley for some fun! According to their website, MB2 offers a “65-game arcade, axe throwing, beer garden (with giant lawn games including Connect 4, Jenga, Corn Hole, Beer Pong, & Ladder Golf), bumper boats, duck pin bowling, eats & drinks, golf simulator, karting (kart racing and drift karting), New York City-themed laser tag, mini golf, and virtual reality!” Please visit the website for requirements and prices for each activity. You can even throw a birthday party here!
Address: 21516 Golden Triangle Rd., Santa Clarita, CA 91350. (661) 753-3413
3. Water Sports – Ahoy Matey! Does Dad’s heart always lead him to the Sea? Then, be sure to visit Ventura Boat Rentals, in the beautiful Ventura Harbor Village, to rent one of their many rental opportunities! You can play in the deep blue Sea in a kayak, stand up paddleboard, electric boat, Swan, Duck, or Dragon pedal boats, or regular pedal boats.
If he doesn’t want to be the captain of his own boat, you can always book a private harbor tour for up to 24 of your closest friends, which provides a 40-minute narrated tour of the Ventura Harbor.
Or, purchase a reservation for a Private Cocktail cruise, on the Dreamer, for you and up the 42 others, which provides you with a 1.5-hour cruise of the Ventura Harbor and Keys.
For all of these options, please see the website for more detailed information and reservations. Bon Voyage!
Address: Ventura Harbor Village 1575 Spinnaker Drive, Suite 104, Dock C-10, Ventura, CA; (805) 642-7553
4. Ride a Ferrari – Does Dad crave the need for speed? Well, we have the perfect gift! With I Ride Like A Star, you have a choice to ride a Ferrari for 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 50 minutes, or 60 minutes. The locations depend on the amount of time you choose, which varies from riding through Hollywood, to the Hollywood Sign, or to Beverly Hills. For certain packages, you can add an additional backseat rider for $20 (max. two) or additional driver for $30 (max. one). You also get a free picture with the Ferrari at the Hollywood sign, if that is the package you purchased. A Go Pro video of your ride to share with your friends is available. See website for requirements and details. (All speed limits do apply with this ride).
Address: 6808 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90028. (800) 859-4986.
5. Magic Show & Hotel – Does Dad need a little Magic in his life? Whisk him away for one night at the Magic Castle Hotel for $369 plus tax! The Magic Night Package (Sunday through Thursday), which expires on June 15, 2022, provides you with a one night stay in a one bedroom suite, with an opportunity to see a Magic Castle show. Based on availability. The package provides you with a $200 dining credit to be used at the Magic Castle restaurant or bar. You must book a dining reservation at the Magic Castle and purchase one meal per person. Door fees to The Magic Castle are not included in this package. So, let Dad experience some magic beforehand, then, spend the day with him and the family on Father’s Day! Be sure to check out the package with all the details on their website.
**The Magic Night Package expires on June 15, 2022! Book soon!**
Address: 7025 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028. (323) 851-0800.
6. Studio Tour – Is Dad the king of the remote at home? Then, maybe a Warner’s Brothers Tour would bring a smile to his face. Warner’s Brothers offers three different tours: Studio Tour, Classics Tour, and the Studio Plus Tour!
The Studio Tour (from $69) provides about one hour guided tour and a two hours non-guided tour, that showcases storytelling, back lot, Friends & Big Bang Theory sets, DC Super Heroes & Super Villains pieces, Harry Potter pieces, interactive sound stage, store and more!
With the Classics Tour (from $69), you will experience some of the great aspects of the Studio Tour, but the focus of this tour will be on the classics from 1923-1970!
The Studio Plus Tour (from $149) offers a welcome reception of coffee and pastries. You will enjoy a film in the exclusive deluxe screening room, about two hour guided tour of the 110 acre studio, as well as a two hour unguided tour, shopping and lunch as Central Perk Café!
Oh! There is a Studio Deluxe Tour (call for price), which spans 8 hours! You experience everything from the Studio & Classics Tour, plus, you get to dine in the Commissary, instead of Central Perk Café, as well as a visit to the Costume & Props Departments! What a treat!
Don’t forget to mention you are a Southern California resident for a discount!
Address: 3400 Warner Blvd., Burbank, CA 91505. (818)977-8687. Studio.email@example.com
7. Baseball Stadium Tour and/or Baseball Game – Is Dad a Dodgers or baseball fan? If yes, then take advantage of the several tours available to get an up-close look at Dodgers Stadium on a Dodger Stadium Tour. The different tours include Stadium tour, Pre-Game Tour, Private/Group Tours, Clubhouse Tour, Stadium Tour in Spanish, Botanical Gardens Tour, and/or book a photo shoot in different iconic Dodgers places with your own photographer!
Address: 1000 Vin Scully Avenue, Los Angeles, CA.
If a stadium tour is not your thing, then try to score some Dodger tickets to see the Boys in Blue face the Cleveland Guardians on Father’s Day!
Address: 1000 Vin Scully Avenue, Los Angeles, CA.
8. Cars, Cars, Cars! – Calling all Car-loving Dads out there! If you haven’t been to the amazing Petersen Automotive Museum, you are missing out! The amazing architecture of this museum alone is a feast for his eyes. Then you will see the exhibits inside, and mind blown!
The following exhibits are now open: Bond in Motion; Hyper Cars – The Allure of the Extreme; Pole Position (Closing June 5th); Cars of Film & Television; Passion; Forza Horizon 5; Building an Electric Future; Electric Revolutionaries: Designers at the Edge; Alternating Currents; Extreme Conditions; The Aesthetic of Motoring: 90 years of Pininfarina; and The Vault!
See website for prices for General Admission, as well as the additional charge to see the vehicles in The Vault. You will need a General Admission ticket, in order to purchase The Vault ticket. The Vault offers self-guided tours and docent-led tours. Please allow 90 minutes to view everything. Children ages 10+ are welcomed to tour the Vault. Last entry into the Vault is 2:30 pm.
Address: 6060 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90036. (323) 930-2277. firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Food Tour – Is your Dad a food connoisseur? Then give him the gift of an Original Farmers Market Food & History Tour with Melting Pot Food Tours! Their website mentions that this food tour is “perfect for individuals who desire a guided culinary experience at LA’s first and foremost foodie destination!” This limited walking tour is approximately 2 ½ hours long with 9 stops, partaking in a varied selection of food and drinks at the Original Farmers Market. Tours are on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays at 9:30 am. Please see their website for details regarding the tour.
Address: “Farmers Market, W. 3rd Street & Fairfax Avenue. Exact meeting location details will be provided upon purchase of tickets,” according to their website. (424) 247-9666. email@example.com
10. Reminisce in the Past – Does your Pops loves to reminisce about the fun times of the past? Then he is sure to love the Valley Relics Museum (VRM) in Lake Balboa, which presents items from the San Fernando Valley and surrounding areas!
Let your Dad introduce you to the fun treasures that can be found in this “one of a kind pop culture museum featuring neon signs, classic cars, rare documents, yearbooks, restaurant menus, art, western clothing, vintage BMX bicycles, a playable retro arcade and much more,” according to their website. The VRM offers guided group tours (15 or more), during their Thursday through Sunday hours. The $10 admission fee includes the cost of the approximate one-hour tour. However, you need to schedule a tour for your visit, which they allow you to schedule up to one hour before closing. Guided private tours are available for groups that are more than 25 guests.
Address: 7900 Balboa Blvd., Lake Balboa, CA 91406. Hangar C 3 & 4. Entrance on Stagg St. (818) 616-4083.
11. Kayak – Did you know that you could take Dad kayaking down the Los Angeles River? Well, you can! LA River Kayak Safari will lead you down two sections of the LA River. The first section, which is approximately 2 1/2 hours, includes a bike ride from a park to Frogtown (Elysian Valley). You will experience nature in the LA River, as you learn paddling skills, info about the LA River, and just enjoy the City of Angel’s River. The safari includes equipment and gear.
In June, you can experience a second section of the LA River, in the Sepulveda Dam. This section is a calm, lazy river surrounded by trees on both sides of the river. You would never believe that you were in the middle of Los Angeles! Please see the website to make your reservations. You can sing the praises of one, who has kayaked down the LA River! People won’t believe it!
Address: Please see website for meeting location. (747) 272-7317. Riversafari.firstname.lastname@example.org
12. History – Can your Dad rattle off history facts because of his love of history? Then you might want to take him to the Ronald Reagan Library. The museum has amazing permanent exhibits, such as, Air Force One Pavilion, The Oval Office, Berlin Wall, F-117 Night Stealth Fighter, an F-14, Gold Start Families Memorial Monument, M-1 Abrams Tank, Marine One, a Memorial, Reagan Museum, Reagan Library, Ronald Reagan Hologram, Secret Service, and Virtual Tours. A special exhibit, The Secrets of World War II, just opened through October 9, 2022. Your general admission ticket includes admission into the special exhibit. There is a Bar and Bistro on site, as well as a Pub. According to the website, the Bar and Bistro is currently opened. However, the Pub is currently closed. Please see their website for Bar and Bistro hours. Be sure to purchase tickets in advance at their website.
Address: 40 Presidential Drive, Simi Valley, CA 93065. (800) 410-8354; email@example.com
13. Surfing – Surf’s up, Dude! Give Dad an amazing gift of learning to surf with HB Surf Lessons! Starting from $80 per person, Dad can spend 2 hours learning to glide over the deep blue waves of the Pacific in Huntington Beach with a 1:1 lesson, which includes a surfboard rental and a wetsuit rental.
Do you want your family to learn alongside you? Then, arrange a Group Lesson for 2 to 9 people. This lesson will last 2 hours with a 4:1 instructor ratio. The cost starts from $60 per person. Again, the surfboard rental and a wetsuit rental are included.
Add an additional family to the lesson to create a Surf Party! For 10 people or more, you can have a 3 hour+ lesson with a group discount starting from $40 per person. Surfboard rental and instructor are included. ?
Address: Bolsa Chica State Beach, Huntington Beach, CA. Text: (714) 356-0940. surflessonsHB@gmail.com
14. Helicopter Tour – Does Dad like to see the views from up above? Let Lite Flight Helicopters take him on one of several helicopter tours, ranging from 15 minutes to 1 hour long. You can choose to fly over different area of Los Angeles, Hollywood, Malibu, Sunset Blvd., and a myriad of other options. Prices start at $169.00. Please see website for details and reservations.
Address: 16700 Roscoe Blvd., Van Nuys, CA 91406. (877) 335-7038.
15. Science & Space Museum – Is your Dad a science and space lover? Then, you might want to explore the beautiful and quite stunning displays at the Griffith Observatory! They have several, unique exhibits that will capture your attention. If you need a little rest, make a reservation to watch their new show, The Signs of Life, starting on May 20, 2022.
Don’t forget to drink in the glorious views of Hollywood and Los Angeles located behind the Observatory.
On a side note, if you just want to visit the Observatory at night, the views are absolutely stunning! At appointed times, the Observatory has telescopes on its rooftop, open for viewing of the celestial show above!
In addition, once a month, they offer a “Star Party” alongside other astronomy on their front lawn to gaze upwards to see the beauty. According to their website, “Free public star parties are held monthly at Griffith Observatory from 2:00 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. with the assistance of volunteers from the Los Angeles Astronomical Society, the Los Angeles Sidewalk Astronomers, and The Planetary Society. They are a chance for the whole family to look at the Sun, Moon, visible planets, and other objects, to try out a variety of telescopes, and to talk to knowledgeable amateur astronomers about the sky and their equipment.” Unfortunately, there are no Star Parties currently scheduled.
Address: 2800 East Observatory Road, Los Angeles, CA 90027. (213) 473-0800.
16. Whale Watching Tour & Deep Sea Fishing – Is your Dad interested in everything “under the Sea?” If so, he will love the opportunity to see a a variety of marine life close up with Davey’s Locker. According to the website, “our whale watching & dolphin cruises view giant blue whales, finback whales, humpback whales, minke whales, several species of dolphins and more. Fee applies.” The tour comes in two different ways – regular or luxury.
If whale watching isn’t Dad’s thing, you can take him on a fishing trip with this same company! You can choose from a variety options of fishing trips! Please see their website for more details and to reserve your tickets.
Address: 400 Main St., Newport Beach, CA 92661. (949) 673-1434. firstname.lastname@example.org
17. Axe Throwing – Help your Dad connect with his inner Lumberjack at Lumber Jack’s Axe Throwing! Choose a single lane for up to 4 people, a double lane for 5 to 12 people, or a room for Large Groups, more than 13 people, for birthdays, work parties, bachelor parties.
According to their website, “You’ll have a private lane all to yourself and a dedicated axe-pert to teach you how to throw and how to play multiple games.”
Be sure to make a reservation and read about the details on their website. You can even join a league, if you develop a love for the Lumberjack life! Gift certificates are available!
Address: 18425-A Nordhoff St., Northridge, CA 91325. (833) 995-3550. email@example.com.
18. Parasailing – Is your Dad a risk taker? If he is, heck, if your whole family are risk-takers, be sure to sail through the sky and above the Channel Islands Harbor on a parasail with Channel Islands Parasailing! The 1000 foot parasailing flights spans 1 ½ hours over the Channel Islands Harbor in the beautiful California skies! Enjoy the view of the California coast and the deep blue Pacific Ocean! Minimum age to fly is 5 years old! You may also purchase a photo package and/or a GoPro package of your flight! Please read their website for detail instructions and requirements.
Address: 3600 Harbor Blvd., Oxnard, CA 93035. (805) 462-7696.
19. Driving Range – Is Dad always looking to improve his golf game? Well, this may be a fun way to include the family! New to Southern California, Top Golf El Segundo is set up similarly to a bowling alley with the golfing bays equipped with seats, table, and a scoring computer. However, instead of a bowling alley, your golfing bay faces the outfield and targets, which you aim to get the best score! Order food for your golfing bay area or dine in the dining area before or after your game! You can plan a party or an event at Top Golf, with the option to rent the Rooftop Terrace, which is adjacent to the golfing bays. Top Golf really is a “hole-in- one” choice for entertainment! Be sure to make reservations ahead of time.
Address: 400 S. Pacific Coast Highway, El Segundo, CA. (424) 567-6385.
20. Rock Climbing – Is your Dad an adventurer? Does he love to be on top of the world? Well, rock climbing with your family at Sender One Climbing may be a “rock-solid” fit! Sender City, in particular, accommodates climbing for littles and adults in one area.
According to their website, you can “climb buildings and towers… Our auto-belay devices automatically retract a cable attached to climbers while controlling the speed at a comfortable pace when descending a climb or activity.”
The cost is $35 per person for one hour of climbing, which includes a rental helmet and rental harness. There is a 35-pound weight requirement to climb. Please read all of the requirements on their website, before enjoying your adventure! Be sure to call to make reservations, as they begin booking reservations two weeks in advance.
Address: 11220 Hindry Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90045. (213) 279-2000. Info.firstname.lastname@example.org
21. Digital Art Museum – Is your Dad an Art lover? The Lume, is an immersive experience that touches all of your senses. According to their website, “Stepping into THE LUME Los Angeles is an epic adventure into art. This permanent digital gallery transforms the world’s finest art into fully immersive sensory encounters. The walls come alive as light ripples across every surface and masterpieces come to life. Curated tastes, aromas, and a choreographed soundtrack add thrilling new dimensions to this 360-degree experience”
The current exhibit, Street Art Alive, features “the work of over 200 street artist, taking visitors on a journey through the lane ways and streets of more than 20 cities synonymous with Street Art, including New York, London, Sao Paulo, Melbourne, and Berlin…which includes eight sections of The Berlin Wall.” .
Please see the website to reserve tickets. The Lume is open Wednesday through Sunday.
Address: Located at Magic Box LA 1933 S. Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90007. (213) 608-3039. email@example.com
22. Music Concert – Does Dad love his tunes? Then, make sure you grab some tickets at The Canyon Agoura Hills to see James Taylor & Carole King Tribute: Taylor Made Tapestry. The tickets are $30 plus applicable fees. Doors open at 6 pm. Headliner begins at 8 pm. According to their website, “if you are seated at a table you are required to purchase dinner. Two drink minimum for all. Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Paying Adult.” Please see their website for more detail and to purchase tickets.
Oh! And Don’t forget their Summer special! According to their website, “Summer passes are back! Get Admission to ALL* shows between May 30 & September 5. Get yours today! Supplies limited! *Some restrictions apply.”
Address: 28912 Roadside Drive, Agoura Hills, CA 91301-3304. (888) 645-5006.
Whichever activity you decide to try out, be sure to keep this list handy, so you can come back throughout the years to get a taste, sip, glimpse, and experience Southern California! And, please share with your friends!
***Oh What Fun It Is To Explore – Go Enjoy & Make Some Memories***
** Please be aware that these places may be very crowded on Father’s Day, so plan accordingly. Please confirm all addresses, phone numbers, websites, and reservation/tickets purchases, before making your plans, as things may have changed after publishing this article.**